Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pina Colada Bread

Hey guess what? I have a recipe for you today!

And with it comes an announcement--for the past few (three?) months or so, the lovely Nicole (aka Veghead) and I have been collaborating on a rough outline for a cookbook. We're still in the very early stages (and I tend to have more ideas than recipes xD), but in a few weeks or so we're probably going to be looking for testers. Much of my contributions so far have been sweets and baked goods, but I'm delving into new territory and attempting to come up with my own meals. I'm really enjoying working with Nicole and looking forward to having a more concrete version of what we want to accomplish. Stay tuned!

I'll probably stop posting most recipes when we ask for testers, but I'll keep all of the old ones up (vegan secrets, vegan shmecrets!).

-----------

Pina Colada Bread
-- makes one loaf


This doesn't have any alcohol in it (sorry!), so I guess we could call it Virgin Pina Colada Bread. Regardless, it has a nice subtle coconut fruity taste, like the drink we all know and love. And the texture's awesome. So just have your liquor on the side, you drunk!

1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup + 2T pineapple juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup + 2T sugar
3/4 t coconut extract
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t allspice
1/8 t nutmeg
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (optional)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325 and grease a medium sized loaf pan

In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients down to the extract. Sift in the dry ingredients down to nutmeg and mix until just combined (a few lumps are okay). If the batter is too thick, add more pineapple juice, but don't overdo it. Fold in the crushed pineapple shredded coconut, or even chocolate chips if you want, and pour it into the loaf pan.

Bake for 55 minutes to an hour.

-----------

I plan on (finally) testing that chocolate candy cane cupcake follow-up soon, but in the meantime you'll probably see another post of reviews from me tomorrow. Things are a bit less hectic for me right now, so I have more time for what we all know is most important: baking and posting it on the PPK (and here, I suppose. =D).

Much love!
Jillian Renee

No comments: