Tuesday, April 15, 2008

While I was gone..

So, there you have it. Typical me: Start a project, get excited about it, work on it really hard for a week or so (more or less depending on the project), lose interest, and wander off.. only this is different, I swear! Vegan cooking and baking isn't something I can get sick of. I just have to get off my ass and post about it here!

I haven't experimented with any new recipes of my own, but I was inspired by raddish's post on the PPK to get back in the swing of things with the month's recipes in review.

First, a plug for Kelly and Garrick's cookie book I've been testing for. That book is going to be seriously rad.

***

Cinnamon Roll Cookies

Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

The Cinnamon Rolls are a Garrick recipe and the Scotches are a Kelly recipe, I believe. The cinnamon roll cookies were the perfect merging of two of my favorite desserts. They were a bit difficult to assemble, but totally worth the extra effort. I personally enjoy sugar way more than can be healthy, so if I made them again I would add an icing drizzle, then they would be perfect.
The Butterscotches were achingly reminiscent of the ones from my pregan days. The recipe called for butterscotch chips, but I used butterscotch extract with good results.

Both of these recipes are worth buying the book for alone, but seriously folks, it's going to be well deserving of your money. They've got ace recipes for all of the essentials (chocolate chip, chocolate, sugar, peanut butter, etc.), vegan takes on old favorites (Thin Mints, Nutter Butters, Oreos, Peanut Butter Cups), creative new ideas (Iced Fudge Brownie Cookies, Chai Cookies, Root Beer Float Cookies), and there's even a recipe for vegan dog treats! And if that doesn't get you to hand over the cash, we'll just put their chocolate and vanilla swirl hypnosis cookies to use on you.

***

Next up, what I've made from Isa and Terry's books in the past few weeks. I've been neglecting it since acquiring Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan and Joy of Vegan Baking in the span of a few days, but it never fails me, as you can see in these pictures.

***

Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh w/ Mashed Potatoes and Jalapeno Corn Gravy
a la Veganomicon
Okay. WOW. I've recently discovered my love for tempeh, so I've been baking up a shitstorm with the stuff. I'm not a fan of spicy things, but this was perfect. Besides tempeh bacon, it's my favorite recipe for it yet. And that gravy? Way too fucking good for such a simple recipe. Terry and Isa are goddesses, I swear.

***

Leek and Bean Cassoulet w/ Biscuits
a la Veganomicon
This has got to be my favorite recipe ever. I rarely ever cook something twice (so many vegan cookbooks, so little time!) but I've come back to this three times now. Comfort food to the max. Make it. Die of happiness. 'nuff said.

***

Bluberry Cornmeal Pancakes
a la Veganomicon
These were made after a COMPLETE failure of ED&BV Raspberry Cornmeal Pancakes (I was determined, dammit!). The texture the cornmeal gave them was perfect, and it's topped with Celestial Cream (plus lemon juice) from ED&BV here, but they were also wonderful with a pat (okay, way more than a pat) of Earth Balance and pure maple syrup.

***

On to the shitload of cupcakes of late.

***

Fauxstess Cupcakes
a la Vegan With A Vengeance

Best cupcakes ever, I shit you not. I don't know why it took me so long to make these, but damn was I missing out. I think I will use the cake portion as my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe from now on. And that icing.. if I wasn't so full I'd be pissed I didn't have any of these in my house. (Okay, I still am.)

***

Tiramisu Cupcakes
a la Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
Not as excellent as the Fauxstess, but still damn good. I wasn't really a fan of the coffee filling.. it made the bottom wet and soggy and horribly messy. You can't really go wrong with cream cheese frosting, though. I think I'll make these again sometime and work on my presentation.

***

Toasted Coconut Cupcakes w/ Coffee Buttercream Frosting
a la Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World

Pretty, aren't they? Pretty good, too. The coffee buttercream was heavenly. I think it would've tasted better on a vanilla coconut base, though.. but that's just my preference. The toasted coconut was a wonderful touch.

***

Maple Cupcakes w/ Creamy Maple Frosting and Sugared Walnuts
a la Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
They look messy, don't they? Yeah, there's a lot of finger lickin' involved with these babies, but they're worth it. I've been meaning to make them for a while, but skipped over 'em in favor of fancier options. Obviously, if you like maple, you will like these cupcakes. And the walnuts! I love candied nuts. And you'll love these.

***

I know I'm giving a lot of glowing reviews, and I value constructive criticism, but come on--how can you go (very) wrong with cupcakes (and Isa and Terry)? I've only made a couple things from Joy of Vegan Baking, but they're up next.

***

Hearty Cocoa Spice Muffins

This was the first thing I made when I got the book. I've been looking for a good chocolate chocolate chip muffin, and this satisfied that craving. I don't like cayenne in my chocolate, so I left that part out, but the rest of the spicing was subtle and sweet. I think the taste might be improved by making it a bit more rich, and I might work on that and get back to you.. any suggestions?

***

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

I have to say, this did not live up to my expectations. It was tasty, but the cake was a bit bland and not at all the pregan coffee cake I used to love. I'll keep searching.

***

Chocolate Brownies with Buttercream

These were the first vegan brownies I'd attempted, and they were good. The buttercream was also from JoVB, and I enjoyed it, but I think I prefer Isa and Terry's. The texture of the brownie was a bit gummy, but the flavor was great. I'd still be interested in experimenting with other recipes, though.

***

And finally, my reviews of the month for Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. I am really falling in love with this book.

***

Banana Cream Pancakes

First recipe in the book, and the first thing I made. The "cream" comes from coconut milk. These were fluffy, tropical, and delicious--an excellent introduction to the book.

***

I mentioned the Celestial Cream in my review of V'con's Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes, and I won't bother reposting the picture, but I'll give my review here. This was perfect for spreading on pancakes--it mimicked the syrup-and-butter taste. My advice for aspiring Celestial Cream-ers is to NOT use vacuum packed tofu. Seriously. I added lemon juice to the cream (because I omitted the lemon zest from the blueberry pancakes) and it was fine, but without it you could detect a tangible vacuum packed tofu aftertaste. Do yourself a favor and buy Nasoya or something!

***

Cashew Ginger Tofu

Pictured with sauteed kale and mashed potatoes. I discovered something while eating this recipe--I do not like baked tofu. Fried is awesome. Baked is chewy and weird. So, while I didn't enjoy this recipe, it wasn't really Dreena's fault--and the sauce was still tasty.

***

Blackened Tofu and Tamari Roasted Chickpeas

So, Blackened Tofu first I suppose. This was an excellent idea (although I'm sure others have come up with it before, I'd just never come across it). I liked it, but I think I need to come back later and tweak the spices a little. I omitted the cayenne, but I think it was the fennel and celery seeds that got me. We'll see.

The Tamari Roasted Chickpeas? Jesus Christ (sorry Mom). If you have the book, make these suckers right now! It took so much willpower not to eat the whole tray. And they're easy to make, too!

***

Well, this post turned out to be longer than I expected. Does that make up for my absence? A little bit?

Hell, it's not like anyone reads this anyway.

Much love,
Jillian Renee

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I do! I do!

And my blood sugar levels just went soaring, and it's ALL your fault.

love,
me

Nicole said...

since i have nothing better to do with my life than comment on your blog all night long... you shoudl try my coffee cake thing and see if you like it. i feel like there's something i shoudl change about it bu ti'm not sure what. so. yeah. ;)

Anonymous said...

Not like baked tofu? That's blasphemy, Jillian! If you ever have a change of heart, try the Cumin Lime Tofu in ED&BV, it's super good.

Love the reviews! Keep 'em coming!

mustardseed said...

I think I like baked tofu better than fried. To me FRIED is chewy and icky. I want ED&BV/...but they don't have it here in Singapore so I gotta order from Amazon but there's shipping cost.

I know that cookie book is gonna be THE bomb!! I will order it from amazon, and make dad pay for the shipping cost!! Or I can painstakingly save up (:

Random announcement: If you have time, make carrot cake! I just made the VwaV one with a few changes and it smells so good...