Thursday, March 6, 2008

Faux Sausage Egg and Cheese

In case any of you are on the edge of you seats (don't pretend you aren't), the sick is gone! Except for this stupid mucus in my throat. I want to sing again, dammit!

But anyway, I've been pretty lazy when it comes to testing my own recipes this week. There was a s'mores muffins flop--

--which actually was quite delicious, despite being so ugly. They were definitely brownies masquerading as muffins, though, which led me to come up with a rough outline for s'mores brownie bars - graham cracker crust, s'more brownie center, and marshmallow icing. If I ever get around to making it, I'll post the recipe. (This flop was a direct result of my obsession with my newfound Ricemellow Creme: see previous posts.)

However, I DO have a recipe for you avid fans (pfft), which isn't really a "recipe" per se (except for the "egg" part), but more of a how-to on making the best faux sausage egg and cheese ever in under ten minutes.

--------

Fauxsage Egg and Cheese Sandwich


Ingredients:

1 English muffin
1 slice (or 1 oz) vegan cheese (I used Vegan Gourmet cheddar)
1 faux sausage patty of your choosing (I used Lite Life)
Earth Balance for buttering
1/2" patty of tofu (instructions for slicing follow)

For the 'fu egg:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp turmeric

To prepare:

Cut your muffin in half and toast it, buttering as soon as it's out of the toaster. While it's toasting, fry your sausage patty according to the packaging directions. Use a glass with a round rim to cut a circle out of a block of tofu and slice off a 1/2 inch round. Sift together all the flour and spices, and coat the tofu evenly. Fry it in a little oil for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until bright yellow and slightly browned.

Assemble the cheese on bottom, the sausage in the middle, and the 'fu on top. Eat and enjoy.

--------

Tomorrow's an in-service day for my school, so I hereby rub it in the face of everyone who has to get up early tomorrow. (You can get me back when I have a three day spring break. =/)

Love,
Jillian Renee

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I have a 5 day spring break.

Unfortunately over said break I have 5 hr crew practices. So, not much of a break, really...

Anyways. I want that 'fu egg. YUMMERSSSSS

Nicole said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, I think I'm getting what the hubby has had this week - no fun!

That faux egg sammich looks really good, I think I need to make it this weekend. :)

Sarah said...

Wow, that's impressive.
As I've only just found your blog Jillian, I'm going to bookmark it and use your recipies.

Nicole said...

Every time I eat ricemellow creme I think of you.

Lately that has been a lot.

Unknown said...

hi

Could you let me know the name/brand of the Vegan Gourmet cheddar and especially if it's meltable please?

As someone who can't have dairy it is so difficult to find a decent dairy free cheese, let alone one that actually melts

Thanks :)

new vegan said...

Thank you for this recipe! This was very delicious!