Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cookies 'n Cream Fudge

Alright, so here we are in the middle of a freakin' heat wave and I decide it's a good time to finally get down to making some fudge. What can I say, I'm a rebel.

I've been searching for a vanilla fudge recipe for a while now--the only vegan ones I've ever seen are either chocolate or peanut butter. I was browsing through RecipeZaar a while back to look at the non-vegan recipes, and it seemed that every single one had a relatively similar base, and then used either chocolate chips for chocolate fudge or white chocolate chips for vanilla fudge. I could easily order white chocolate chips off of Vegan Essentials, but my parents were less than pleased with the shipping costs when I ordered my Teese/Soy Curls/donuts and I don't have the money to cover it myself. So when I started this topic on the PPK asking if there was any way around these elusive chips, the lovely meghanispie offered to send an extra bag to me.

SO I adapted a few recipes and came up with this one. The reason I'd been searching for a vanilla recipe is because I was craving a cookies 'n cream type fudge, but I tasted it before adding the Newmann-O's and it would make an excellent base for all your vanilla fudge needs. The recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, and I used a recipe Veghead contributed to our cookbook (which I really need to get back on track with) that is a bit time consuming, but totally worth delicious cookies 'n cream fudge.

-----

Cookies 'n Cream Fudge


Sweetened Condensed Milk

3 cups nondairy milk of choice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
pinch salt

Cook nondairy milk and sugar over medium-low heat until reduced to 1 cup. Stir in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate before using. Makes 1 cup.

Cookies 'n Cream Fudge

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
7 oz Ricemellow cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup vegan butter
2 cups white chocolate chips
1/2 cup Oreo or Oreo-type cookies, finely crushed
1 cup Oreo or Oreo-type cookies, crumbled

Line a 13x9 pan with buttered parchment paper. Combine sugar, butter, and milk in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a full boil while stirring constantly. Let boil and continue stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the chips, cream, cookies, and vanilla, and pour into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until firm (about 45 minutes). Remove, cut as desired, and store in an airtight container (not in the fridge).


-----

Much love,
Jillian Renee

4 comments:

Erin said...

If I ever do get my hands on white chocolate chips this will definitely be one use. It looks so creamy and good!

x said...

Great idea! I happen to have bought a large back of white chocolate chips the other day, I think I might try your fudge!
xox

Anonymous said...

That looks so tasty! Like a portable chunk of c & c frosting or something!

Anonymous said...

yikes, those [and the other recipes] look good.
i am new to the raw.vegan scene.
these look wayyyyy to good to try.
i'll never get to raw if i had these recipes
:)
keep up the great posts!