Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Recipe Reviews

More reviews today!

-----------

I've been doing a bunch of testing for Kelly and Garrick lately.. if I had pumpkin or bananas I'd have two more reviews for you, but unfortunately they'll have to wait. Oh, and remember the vanilla fudge? Kelly was wonderful enough to incorporate it in her book as a vanilla fudge base! Sometime this week I'm gonna be coming up with more variations for it.

Caramel Cookies

My favorite tester recipe ever. Gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside, wonderfully sweet and caramel-y with a rich but light frosting.

Peanut Butter Fudge


Slightly grainy, but in a melt-in-your-mouth way. Present but not overpowering peanut butter taste, wonderful when chopped up and used as peanut butter chips.

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Perfect combination of flavors. Chewy peanut butter base, crispy chocolate covered pretzel top.

Chocolate Peppermint Cream Bars

Very rich and fulfilling. The peppermint wasn't too strong, and they weren't too difficult to make either.

Chai Cookies

Tasted like snickerdoodles with a kick. Texture was a bit stiff, but the taste was good.

Sugar Cookies


Classic sugar cookie taste, sweet and traditional.

-----------

Next, I have my Isa and Terry reviews. I've been way busy with West Side Rehearsals and vacation and etc etc etc, so I've mostly been making quick meals and sammiches and such, but I have some backlogged photos for your blogging enjoyment.

Diner-style Home Fries
a la Veganomicon

Pictured with tempeh bacon and buttered toast. Okay, for such a simple recipe, this was forkin' delicious. I added garlic salt, but I doubt I even needed to. Sure, you could go to the diner and get your own, but who knows how clean that pan they made them in was? Who knows how often the chef washes his hands after handling raw burgers? Invite your friends over and make these instead. You won't be sorry.

Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes w/ Caramel Penuche Frosting
a la Veganomicon

Alright.. I have to say this cupcake did not live up to my expectations. (A cupcake I didn't like? I know, I know.) The cupcake itself was good, but the frosting just had a weird texture and an almost too-sweet taste. The caramel pre-penuching was delicious, though. I'd much rather just pour a bunch of it on top next time.

Tempeh Reuben
a la Vegan With A Vengeance

How did it take me so long to notice this recipe? Simply marinated tempeh slathered in creamy thousand island dressing and cheddar soy cheese, all in between two buttery pieces of fried multigrain bread. 'nuff said.

Sunny Blueberry Corn Muffins
a la Vegan With A Vengeance

I'm very much a fan of Isa and Terry's Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes from 'nomicon, but these just didn't do it for me. I added about half a cup of sugar to the recipe and they were good drenched in Earth Balance, but I think I need a sweeter muffin to satisfy myself.

Banana Split Pudding Brownies
a la Vegan With A Vengeance

You know what I just realized? I can never spell vengeance on the first try. Anyway. I took these to my sick grandfather and he adored them. They were good, a bit cakey for my tastes, but the topping was sweet and a nice touch.

Smoky Grilled Tempeh
a la Veganomicon
&
Cheater Baked Beans
a la Veganomicon

Both are excellent recipes. The tempeh was reminiscent of tempeh bacon, but different. I breaded it later and I highly recommend doing so. The beans were sweet, but not cloyingly, and and just what homestyle baked beans should taste like.

Chickpeas Romesco
a la Veganomicon

Excellent flavor combinations. I liked them so much I sprinkled YRR parmesan on top and made a meal out of it, but it would've made a great pasta or spaghetti sauce as well.

-----------

Bonus stuff that doesn't really fit anywhere else!
AKA, stuff I found on the internet.

Chickpea Salad
a la VeganYumYum

A seriously perfect recipe. Blows regular tuna fish sandwiches out of the water.

Easy Macaroni and Cheeze
a la FatFreeVegan

As the title suggests, a very simple recipe with a creamy, noochy sauce. Not exactly like regular mac 'n cheese of course, but good enough for a vegan like me. Especially delicious with barbecue sauce.

Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
a la Love Like A Vegan

I cannot sing the praises of this recipe enough. I make it at least once a week now. Perfect fluffy texture, yummy brown sugar cinnamon swirls. After you've made it once or twice (trust me, you'll come back to it), try it using Silk Chai. One of my favorite things to bake ever.

-----------

Bonus #2!


Remember those soy curls I told you about? Yeah, well they're forking delicious, is what they are. I boiled them, tossed 'em in some agave nectar, soy sauce, and spices, then panfried them in barbecue sauce. They made a delicious wrap I later added homemade ranch to, and they got the "tastes like chicken" approval from my stubborn omni dad. Go buy them!

-----------

Well, I'm off to make some more chickpea salad. I'll try to get another recipe for ya' up soon.

Love,
Jillian Renee

5 comments:

Home Makerz said...

Get Lot of Collection:
Residence Collection
Chronicle Times
Free Crackers
BSE Times

LK Sisters said...

Thanks for the reviews! The chickpeas romesco and the chai cookies sound especially good. I have been really loving soy milk seeped with chai tea. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks amazing! Especially the mac and cheese.

Erin said...

Wow, you've been busy. I'm all over the peppermint bars and the tempeh reuben.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com