Sunday, February 24, 2008

Chai Muffins

So, I guess I lied to you when I said I'd get some baking in yesterday. But Jesus, this is three posts in four days, what do you want from me?! (I'm still riding that whole new-blog thing. I'll probably get bored and post less often soon.)

I didn't have breakfast today, except for some black coffee to combat my headache from last night (don't even ask), but lunch was pretty amazing. Not because I came up with a recipe, not even because I used someone else's recipe and it turned out well, but because of this shit -

That's me kissing my Ricemellow Creme. It looks more like I'm hiding behind it, though..

I've heard mixed reviews about RC, so I was a bit skeptical when I saw it at Whole Foods. I decided to give it a shot, and OH MY GOD. I never thought a peanut butter and fluff sandwich would taste so fulfilling.

Anyway, I'm probably just eating leftovers for dinner, but I did come up with this in the meantime:

---------

Chai Muffins


Muffins:
1/2 cup chai soy milk (or 1/2 cup non-dairy milk + 2 chai tea bags)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch black pepper
1 tablespoon baking powder

Streusal:
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
pinch cloves
pinch salt

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 12 muffin tin.

First, prepare the streusal:
Cream the margarine. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a fork to create crumbs. Set aside.

Next, make the muffins:
Mix together the wet ingredients (down to sugar). If using tea bags, boil the non-dairy milk on the stove, take off of the heat, and let the tea bags stew in the milk for ten minutes. Press the bags against the side of the pan and completely drain them before using.

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl (down to baking powder). Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined. Fill the muffin tin about 2/3 full, and top evenly with the streusal. Bake for 19-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry.

---------

See you next time, crazy vegans!

Love,
Jillian Renee

1 comment:

Nicole said...

perdy

i always die without breakfast. ut i'm just a fatty lie that.

you should read the last question on my little blog survey thing. it's tizzight.