Friday, February 22, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes and Yellow Rose Recipes

This morning my school called my house at 5 to cancel school. Unfortunately, I didn't get up till six and no one bothered to tell me. When I figured it out, I lied in bed trying desperately to go back to sleep for an hour and a half, and eventually let Elliott Smith sing me there till I woke back up at 10. When I got up (the second time), I decided that the best use of my lazy day would be to make brunch - obviously - and this is what resulted.


Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Pancakes. I don't ever want to know how many calories were in these, but they were worth every single fucking one. I am officially inspire to make brunch MUCH more often.

---------

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Pancakes

1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 cups pumpkin spice soy milk (or plain non-dairy milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat and oil a skillet over medium-high heat for about two minutes.

Sift together the dry ingredients (down to cloves). Combine the rest of the ingredients (down to maple syrup) in a separate bowl, and add the wet to the dry (but don't overmix!). Fold in the chocolate chips.

Cook on each side for about 4 minutes or less, depending on how hot your stove is. Transfer to a pate and continue with the rest of the batter, adding oil as needed.

---------

The rest of the day was spent playing the piano, reading Veronika Decides to Die (for the umpteenth time), and wasting away the hours on the PPK and various food blogs. Oh, and making/eating these:

Sesame Green Beans (with added broccoli) from Yellow Rose Recipes

Tofu Marsala, also from Yellow Rose Recipes

And eating them together for dinner. Maybe tomorrow I won't be snowed in and can continue my social life.

But I'll get some baking in either way (hopefully).

Love,
Jillian Renee

7 comments:

vijita said...

Hot pancakes! Thanks for the recipe.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Your brunch looks like the perfect way to spend a snow day!

Great blog :o)

Nicole said...

hey boobear. i love you vegan foodbloggy buddy! yep ive had this blog for a little while bu ti'm horrible about updating.

tohse pancakes look fantastic. and calories (rather, the caloric content, not actually eating calories haha) are for losers anyways.

love,
me.

PS i wish i had snow days. ithought usually snowy places didnt' end up having many snow days becausre they knew how to deal with snow, but hey...

Robert Tracy said...

Cool. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

Nicole said...

check the goshdarn boards beeyotch.
<3

Jennifer said...

I was so excited to find a vegan pumpkin pancake recipe, but then I saw the "pumpkin" comes from pumpkin spice soy milk. There's none of that where I come from. bummer

JillianRenee said...

Jennifer, I was going to add pumpkin to it but I didn't have any in my cupboard. I'm sure it would taste great with it, you just might have to adjust the liquids. :)